On My Mind
- Now that I’m no longer training for races, I’m finding it very difficult to be motivated to run. I have a half-marathon to run next week and I’ve done no long runs for the past few weekends. I skipped last week’s run in favor of volunteering at the Georgia Jewel 100 miler. This weekend? I simply didn’t feel like getting up at 4-something AM to run before The Mister left for work. It is also problematic that I enjoy trail running and the thought of running 10 or more miles on the street by myself for no real reason is not appealing.
- I do need to keep my butt in gear though because I signed up for the GUTS Pumpkin Butt 50K @ Kennesaw Mountain on October 21st. The course is 5 10K loops. I run the majority of the course weekly so I’m very comfortable with footing on the trails. I plan to run/hike until I don’t feel like running anymore. My goal is 3 loops but if I only make it 2 loops, then so be it. Each loop has about 950ft of gain because we go to the top the mountain. At 16 weeks pregnant, I’ll be more than happy with 12 miles and nearly 2K ft of gain.
- I am still generally motivated to exercise during the week. I love going to CrossFit more frequently. I realize how much I’ve missed it with all the focus on running. I feel less limited with CrossFit right now. Maintaining strength just feels more beneficial to me somehow than puffing through another run. I have to take more breaks during workouts, but I haven’t really backed down from my normal weights yet. I just feel more “successful,” if that is possible, at CrossFit than running.
- I’ve been lucky enough to avoid a lot of bad pregnancy symptoms, but as I enter the second tri they seem to be coming. I’m generally an even-tempered person but I was a true grump this entire weekend. I had so little patience for Lewis and The Mister that I felt bad for them. I hope this passes soon because I don’t like not feeling like myself.
- We dropped DirectTV service last month in an effort to save money. Double daycare (!!) is coming and we need to make cuts. I haven’t really missed it at all! I DVR’d 90% of the shows I liked rather than watching them in real time. The end result was that my DVR was full of shows that I kept meaning to watch but never did. The services we have now more closely align with my actual TV viewing habits. Our Internet service includes limited basic cable/local channels that come in clearly without needing antennas. I signed up for Hulu Plus and Netflix. I already have Amazon Prime for my Kindle Fire so I can stream videos that way too. We have a Wii and an XBox 360 that allows us to stream to TV. I purchased a Roku box ($50) so that we don’t have to keep transporting the gaming devices up and downstairs. So far, I have been able to watch whatever I want with very little hassle. $115/month->$12/month = a good move so far. The Mister has not been as happy though since he wants to record his football games. Maybe a used TiVo is in order?
- With my second trimester starting and ending over the holiday season, I am realizing that this pregnancy is going to fly by. I’ve been so pre-occupied with daily life. I don’t have time to obsess over every little thing like I did with my first pregnancy. I’m excited but honestly that excitement is tempered by the full knowledge of just how trying the newborn stage can be. The good thing (besides the fact that newborns are so freaking cute) is that I know things will only be horrible for a few months. It will get a little better after a few more months. In a year I will feel like a human being again. I can suck it up until then.
- I am also cheered by the knowledge that I will NEVER do this again. I truly mean that. If I end up with a C-Section for whatever reason, I’m giving them full permission to burn my tubes right up. I’m 35 years old and two children is plenty for me. It will also be good to set about getting my best body back knowing that I won’t need to rebuild it again in a few years with a pregnancy. I think knowing that I wanted another child in the near future was the one thing that kept me from putting in the extra hard work necessary to lose that final 10lbs or so.
- I have yet another set of neighbors move out under suspicious circumstances. My next-door neighbors walked away without selling their home last year. Now the people across the street just packed up and moved out this weekend. They have not put their home up for sale at least as far as I can see. Sigh. A rental on one side and and two vacant homes surrounding me? I will never be able to sell this house for what I paid for it. I’m fine with what we have now. However, if The Mister got a great promotion that required a move, we would not be able to take advantage of it. Maybe it makes me a bad person, but if it came down to the advancement of my family’s financial situation vs an obligation to the bank – I’d choose my family.
This entry was posted in Baby
. Bookmark the permalink